Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Picasso took a shit.


My Art History professor said something that made me want to walk up to the podium in front of Picasso's Les Demoiselles D'Avignon and give him a huge hug.
We were discussing abstract art and the way it makes us feel.
Well rather, HE was discussing abstract art and the way it makes HIM feel. in a lecture class of one hundred its hard to have a discussion.

"Is everyone still awake? is anyone still paying attention?" he said as he peered menacingly over his little round glasses as the girl next to me doodled in her notebook.
He cleared his throat and sighed.
"You know what the most abstract work of art is? Its love."
"Dude. Greer. that isn't Art" said the bro sitting behind me.
"Oh but it is! it is the most subjective, indescribable, elusive, glorious thing we search for our whole lives. Every time you think you've found it, it is in some other form, its changed, grown with you."
Before I even realized I was saying it I said, "And how does it last?"
"The same way this Picasso lasts through time. People keep reexamining it and figuring out what it means to them all over again."

1 comment:

  1. Can I just say that I am in love with that man after reading this. Wow, wow, wow! How better to describe THE most elusive (by the way, you spelled that wrong) "thing" in any and all human existence? I'm jealous of the education you're receiving up there.

    ReplyDelete