Thursday, March 18, 2010

we'll always have cabbage.


it finally wasn't the center piece. we did the thing we always said we would do. and thats why I'm glad we did. it got me thinking, which is what I needed.
the evolution of romance.
hearing her talk about the days with curlers and foyer's as if it was five minutes ago intrigued me. romance was more of an obligation back then but at the same time the formalities of it all made it harder to get to, and who doesn't like hard to get things?

"they met because he came to the all girls house she was livi
ng in to pick up another girl. he had flowers and was waiting in the foyer. annie came downstairs in curlers in her hair and told him that her roommate wasn't there; that she was on a trip [she was a stewardess] and forgot to call. then he asked annie if she was interested and she said, 'I'm a mess!' and he said, 'I can wait.' they married six months later."

its all very, "well-only-if-you're-completely-sure" and full of ultimatums now. I hate that. it leads you
to wonder what the bullshit is and whats not.
that has been my Rushmore lately. separating the thing I love, and the thing I can't handle allowing myself to buy into.

I always hated the Jay Gatsby.... I would always pick
Nick Carraway.
Although...I say that now and still allowed a great deal of
Nick Carraway's slip through.

but I'll always love cabbage, because its such a spectacular center piece, not for the taste.


No comments:

Post a Comment