Wednesday, January 27, 2010

temporomandibulartemporomandibulartemporomandibular

Found this in my word document. it was for one of my college supplements.
yaaaaay college.
accept me pleaaaase....



There were at least three dental hygienists watching me open and close my mouth. "Temporomandibular joint disorder." "Yes, I've been told that before. This is nothing new." This is true. I've been dealing with chronic jaw pain my whole life. It is genetic, made worse by my full time job: high school therapist. I'm not searching for pity. I have been told on more than a few occasions that I am a listener. It is more of a symbiotic relationship than it may appear. I listen. They talk. I study their mannerisms and voice and put it into my improvisational back pocket, they leave my side feeling better then before. I move on with my day. It is not until that night I feel the weight of the days vent. Immediately when I fall asleep, my jaw clenches. Completely subconsciously. The next morning the damage is done. My empathetic nature translates their pain into my jaw. Little known fact: the temporomandibular joint connects to the skull, and everything else. But somehow I don't let it phase me. I value these connections with my best friends, acquaintances and strangers. I would never pursue therapy as a career. My interest in it is merely recreational. The small pop of my jaw is a daily reminder of my duty. The dental hygienists don't get it. But I do.

2 comments:

  1. i think we might be twins...
    this is, without a doubt, the story of my life.
    down to the jaw clenching (which definitely sucks sometimes). i get it. completely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "It is genetic, made worse by my full time job: high school therapist."
    I remember this. I remember that night you were writing this. I really like this short answer.

    ReplyDelete